Data Collection with Vernier LabQuest™
Data acquisition using sensors and probeshas a growing importance in teaching sciences. The sensors and probes have an exceptional pedagogical value, as they allow the laws of science to be discovered by the students, which allows for a better learning and also students show more interest in the subjects taught.
LabQuest™ is the new data collection interface from Vernier. It's compatible with all Vernier sensors (the same ones that can be connected to CBL 2™) which allows schools to renew their data collection equipment at a low cost. Besides allowing collected data to be analyzed, as LabQuest has a touch screen and analysis software, it can also be connected to a computer, using Vernier's software Logger Pro® 3 or Logger Lite™.
This workshop is meant for Math and Science teachers from either middle grades or high school. Throughout it we'll explore different aspects of data acquisition with LabQuest as we learn about its features.
This course is made of 6 sessions of 3 hours each and 2 sessions of 3h30 hours.
- An introduction to LabQuest; Overview of the data collection software
- Automatic sensor detection; Data collection setup; Study of Newton's law of cooling.
- Data collection with data entry by the user; Proof of Boyle's law; Finding the magnetic North;
- Special modes for photogates and motion detectors; Calculation of the acceleration of gravity (two different experiments).
- Data collection with multiple sensors and advanced setup (triggering); Determining the speed of sound and Newton's 2nd and 3rd laws
- Development of projects by the participants.
Remark: The mentioned activities were selected for their simplicity. They require very little aditional materials and setup. Depending on participants profile the suggested activities can be changed as to fit their needs.
How to attend?
Usually I perform training courses only in Portugal. If, however, you'd like to have this course at your school, even in a foreign country, have your school contact me to see if it can be arranged.